Dawah in the path of allah
Baraa (R.A) narrated, the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) sent Khalid ibne Waleed (R.A) to the inhabitants of Yemen to invite them towards Islam.
Baraa (R.A) said “I was amongst those who were sent I was with the Jamat.. with Khalid ibne Waleed (R.A). We dwelled (within the people of Yemen) for six months inviting them towards Islam but they didn’t accept the (invitation of Islam)
Then the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) sent Ali (R.A) and ordered him to send back Khalid ibne Waleed (R.A) except those who are fond of staying with Ali (R.A) then they may remain with him.
Baraa (R.A) said “I was amongst those who remained with Ali (R.A) when we approached the people they came and advanced towards us. Thereafter Ali (R.A) led the prayer (after completing the salah) he lined us up into one single row, stepped forward in front of us and read out aloud the letter of Rasulullah (S.A.W). (Upon hearing this letter) the Hamdaan tribe all accepted Islam. Ali (R.A) then sent a letter to the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) informing him that the people of Hamdaan tribe had accepted Islam.
When the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) read this letter out of happiness he fell to the ground in prostration (sajda).
Thereafter he lifted his head and prayed for the people of Hamdan (Arabic) “peace be upon the people of Hamdaan”
(Al-Rafhaqee- Al- Bukahri)
• The Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) sent Khalid ibne Waleed (R.A) accompanied by many towards Yemen on a mission to give Dawah and call the people of Yemen towards Islam
• They spent 6 months inviting towards Islam trying to accomplish their mission of Dawah.
• Although their Dawah was rejected they carried on for six months and neither did they pull out their sword.
• After six months effort was made Rasulullah (S.A.W) sent Ali (R.A) for Nusrah (help).
• After effort was made Hamdaan (name of the tribe) accepted Islam.
• Ali (R.A) sent a letter back to Prophet (S.A.W) informing him of what had happened – i.e. the Islam of the Hamdaan tribe.
• It is clearly evident from this incident that the effort of tabligh is on the manhaj and tareeq of the Sahaba, because of the following reason:
• Just as Prophet (S.A.W) sent out Jamats for calling towards Islam – in the same way in this effort jamaats are sent all over the world for dawah purpose.
• Just as the Jamat of Khalid ibne Waleed (R.A) remained in the path of Allah calling towards Allah for six months – in the same manner Jamats are also sent in the path of Allah for a period of six months.
• Although after inviting them towards Islam and calling them towards Allah Ta’ala for six months they didn’t give up neither did they draw swords, but rather they kept on making excessive effort- in jamat efforts are made and jamat are sent again and again to the same locality etc.. to make the effort of da’wah not losing hope (Arabic) – Also because it is our responsibility to give da’wah, our responsibility is not guidance- this golden rule was also set for Rasulullah (S.A.W) himself as Allah Ta’ala revealed a verse upon Prophet (S.A.W) when he saw him in pain and full of worry trying to make his uncle Abu Talib accept Islam (Arabic) “You cannot guide (give hidayah) to whom you love “ Because hidayah is in the hands of Allah Ta’ala as Prophet (S.A.W) once himself said “indeed I am a preacher and guidance is given by Allah) (Arabic)
• Also as we can see that Ali (R.A) upon arriving began effort and after some results wrote a letter back to Prophet (S.A.W) giving him the karguzari in the same manner when jamats are sent abroad that are also told to wrote back the situation (Karguzari) of their efforts and the situation of the place etc.